Monday, January 5, 2009

St. John Neumann

Since I gave away my copy of the Magnificat & haven’t acquired a new one yet, I was unawares until this evening that today is the feast day of St. John Neumann, whose parish church in Farragut I have haunted with some frequency since moving to the Knoxville area over 17 years ago from Lilburn, Georgia, where my old parish church was, well, St. John Neumann.

Some years ago, I began attending the “indult” Traditional Mass at the old building in Farragut, which really kick-started something of the faith in me. After a few months, I joined the choir. Some time later I began learning to sing.

So, I have a lot of fond memories of the old building. Baptisms tended to occur after Mass, so when I arrived early to warm-up a bit & run through the day’s Propers, I was privileged to witness the initiation of many an infant into the Body of Christ. I also frequently went to Confession there. It was good to arrive pretty early, because there was always a long line. Hmmm… Perpetual Adoration & long Confession lines. Adoration 1 day a month & short Confession lines. Coincidence?


Anyway, the new SJN building has a glorious rose window in the choir loft depicting the life & ministry of St. John Neumann. The full story on each “petal” can be found here. Like him, though somewhat earlier, my family came to the U.S. from Germany (though he was Czech) through Philadelphia. I have every confidence that through the intercessions of St. John Neumann the new building will continue to provide surprising new opportunities of God’s grace.

St. John Neumann: Ora pro nobis ad Dominum.

1 comment:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Thanks for the link Mark! I was looking for info on the new church earlier this week. Hope to make it over there soon to see the inside!