Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rules to live by...

Now, it is simply a fact that the Reform hasn't been handled well. What was intended to breathe new life into the Church had the immediate consequences of huge numbers of priests & religious abandoning their posts, seminaries emptying, & heretics of every stripe - cleric, religious, & lay - seizing power in the Church at all levels, from cardinals to CCD teachers. With a couple of generations now puréed in the "What's happenin' now" blender, many of the deformations have become an entrenched part of the average Catholic's world view.

And correcting this ain't easy. I have run-ins on a daily basis with people who simply will not accept & live by what the Church definitively teaches. And I'm talking basic stuff, like fasting before Mass, or sometimes just going to Mass at all! It's extremely tempting to just reach out & knock somebody upside their nappy head, as we used to say in the neighborhood.

At the same time, I am indescribably overjoyed that so many strong & faithful bishops have emerged of late, just when we need them. With their solid teaching & faithful leadership, such as that provided by our gloriously-reigning Pope Benedict XVI, the tide is turning & real faith is beginning to bud & blossom in the Church.

In light of the need for both a renewal of faith & mission in the Church & strong leadership from our bishops against the world, I was grateful to come across this post at Te Deum about handling conflict within the Church. [I've edited them down for brevity; visit that original post to view the archbishop-elect's complete comments on each of the 10 points.]

I pray for such a strong shepherd for the vacant see of Knoxville.

10 rules for handling disagreement like a Christian
By Bishop Vigneron, former bishop of Oakland, archbishop elect of Detroit

1. The Rule of Charity: “Charity is primary.”

No matter how wise my insights or astute my plans, they count for nothing if I do not offer them with love. [That] does not mean that such speaking can only be weak, but it does mean that whatever is said ought always to be offered respectfully & for the genuine service of others... [I'm trying.]

2. The Rule of Publicity: “Think with the mind of the Church.”

Sentire cum Ecclesia... The criterion for our deciding our disagreements is not one’s own private opinions, but... what the Church thinks. Measure everything against the authoritative documents of the Magisterium... the writings of the Councils & the popes... & her Fathers & Doctors.

3. The Rule of Legitimate Freedom: “What the Church allows is not to be disallowed.”

In situations where the Church says that a variety of views or opinions is legitimate, I should not impose my option as a mandate on others. [That said, some options for the glorification of God & sanctification of the faithful are better than others. Not everything that is permitted is most beneficial, & what is currently practiced may not be best simply because it is familiar.]

4. The Rule of Catholic Freedom: “There’s something for everybody, but not everything is for everybody.”

“It’s a big Church.” God has given gifts of grace in an almost dizzying variety... Nobody has to live the Christian life exactly the way I do... [so] respect every practice or approach that has a legitimate place in the life of the Church. [Really, I'm trying]

5. The Rule of Modesty: “Not all of my causes are God’s causes.”

Some of my agendas are mine. It’s right to embark on projects with a zealous desire to give God glory, but... there are cases when it’s not his will for everyone else to join me.

6. The Rule of Integrity: “To do evil in order to accomplish good is really to do evil.”

Breaking one of God’s commandments is not the way to advance his Kingdom, ever.

7. The Rule of Realism: “Remember that Satan is eager to corrupt my efforts to build up the Kingdom, & he’s smart enough to figure out a way to do it."

The more common name is “humility.” My cause may be right or my view may be true, but I have to watch that their goodness is not corrupted by my infidelity. [I trying, I'm trying...]

8. The Rule of Mystery: “Not all the habits & attitudes which belong to a society governed by a representative democracy are appropriate in the Church.”

While the Church is, yes, a human reality, she is also a divine reality, a mystery, unlike any other community every known in the history of the world... She is... the Lord’s own creation, constituted according to his will & plan.

9. The Petrine Rule: “Nobody ever built up the Church by tearing down the pope.”

The Holy Father’s leadership is part of the Church’s constitution from Christ... .The pastoral care we receive from the Holy Father is a great grace, St. Peter’s own service of his fellow disciples continuing to this very day. A great pope makes us a better Church. [Amen!]

10. The Eschatological Rule: “The victory is assured; my job is to run out the clock with style.”

Christ is risen[!]... He has conquered sin & death & all the forces that threaten us. Whatever is at stake in our trials or conflicts, the certainty of Christ’s victory is not in doubt.... & his victory will be ours as long as we abide with him in his Mystical Body... Our mission is to serve the Lord in fidelity & hope, & be ready for him...

2 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Thanks for posting this Mark.

Mark G. said...

Everyone loves a list, right?

I need to print this out, tie a string to it, & wear it around my neck!

If you catch me being uncharitable, don't be afraid to smack me one upside my nappy head!