Thursday, December 11, 2008

Book Review: Treasure in Clay, Sheen

This post is the first in what I hope to be a series of mini-reviews on the various books I’ve read. I will also dive back a bit into the cranial archives to bring out a few older reads of note. The listings in the "Books Recently Read" side bar will link to the reviews. Hopefully, this will be useful to someone, even if it’s just me - in reminding me what I’ve already read & what it was about!

Treasure in Clay, Fulton J. Sheen

I’ve noticed in Religious Ed class, my students’ eyes glaze over & get increasingly droopy as I unload doctrine after doctrine on them, but they all perk right up whenever I say, “Let me tell you what happened to me when I was your age …”

There’s something about a story that catches our attention. The life story of one of world’s great story-tellers is every bit as intriguing as you might suspect it would be. But what is notable is not just what he did, but what it meant; & not just what it meant, but what it means in light of the Paschal Mystery.

Great teachers never stop teaching. His razor-sharp intellect, clear spiritual sight, & penchant for the moment allowed him to see grace & opportunity all around. Everyone he encountered, in any situation, was an opportunity to teach, to evangelize, to call to conversion, to impart the faith with love. Abp. Sheen loves the Lord Jesus fiercely; his story provides us a compelling witness to enkindle the fire of love within us, also.

H.E. Rating:

5 aspergillum shakes

No comments: