Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Book Review: Advent & Christmas with Fulton J. Sheen

I haven't written a book, but I imagine that it's quite a lot like birthing & raising a child. You conceive it & labor to bring it into the world, hoping one day it will find a happy & gratifying relationship with a loved one, & take care of you in your old age.

I say this to acknowledge the effort that must be poured into a project like this. With all that said, I was disappointed with this beautifully produced prayer book by Judy Bauer & Liguori press.

While one might think that any book featuring America's great TV preacher would score an automatic home run with me (see here), & even more so with a William Adolf Bougereau painting on the cover; honestly, I just found it a little too brief to be useful.

The scripture passages, excerpts from Abp. Sheen's works, & concluding prayers are really too short to draw one in or connect the elements together into a single prayerful act as it should. Some days were very good, but others left me going, "huh?" At least for what I was looking for, it lacked depth & cohesiveness.

In the final analysis, I read every page of the Magnificat through the holidays, but the truth is, I didn't finish this book.
...
H.E. Rating:

2-1/2 Asperigellum shakes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Great rating system...how do you think of these things! I want to spend a day inside your head.

Mark G. said...

I'm certain that you do not.

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Too funny!

Anonymous said...

See the photos of Roman Catholic priest of the Diocese of Knoxville, Fr. Christian Mathis, getting married in a Protestant church. Enjoy!

https://melissa-zehner.squarespace.com/blog/anneandchristian

His bishop is no doubt less than pleased.

Hopefully he will do better pleasing his wife.

LOL