Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mary of the Gael

February 1 is the feast of St. Brigid of Kildare, Ireland (†524):
...
"Known as the Mary of the Gael, Brigid along with Patrick & Columban are the patron saints of Ireland. The daughter of a pagan Irish chief & Christian mother, she founded a commune in Kildare, which grew into a well-respected Abbey from which Irish missionaries were sent abroad to evangelize... She was known for her purity, compassion, & charity amidst a barbaric, pagan world."
...
On my weekend visit to Dublin several years ago, I really, really wanted to make a pilgrimage to Kildare to visit St. Brigid's well, but was not able to. I was glad to find her well-represented in Dublin, however. I could show you a jillion photos from my trip, but here are just a few from ChristChurch (now-Anglican) cathedral (click on photos to enlarge):
...

This Norman-style church is quite old & extraordinarilly beautiful & well-preserved. One can only image how beautiful the Holy Mass would have been in ages past at the glorious high altar behind the rood screen. The windows were exquisite, too. I could have spent an hour pondering both artistry of the glass & the Mystery presented in each one.
...
I took a stairwell that was off the beaten tourist path & found this jewel of a window presenting the 7 Isaian spiritual gifts of Wisdom, knowledge, fortitude, counsel, understanding, piety, & Fear of the Lord:






Though I did not find St. Brigid's well, my trip was quite a pilgrimage nonetheless. Without knowing why, I have a great spiritual attachment to St. Brigid. May her example & intercession guide us all safely to the end of our earthly pigrimage. St. Brigid, ora pro nobis.

No comments: