Friday, June 5, 2009

The past ain't what it used to be...

Whilst cleaning out the garage, I came across an interesting milestone in my own history - a scrap of engineering paper dot-matrix printed over with a couple of journal entries. It marks a point when as a student at Georgia Tech I was both hungry for God, but also sadly, the point where I began falling away from the Church. The text has been slightly edited to protect the guilty...

Recently, I find myself at odds with religion. I am increasingly dissatisfied with the clergy at my Catholic church. Once, there was a great man who spoke of God - his voice thick with the flavor of old Ireland... He paced back & forth in front of the altar, speaking faster & faster as his enthusiasm swelled; no canned speaches, no rhetoric. This man spoke from the intellect and the heart and the soul.

With my growing antipathy towards my local parish, I have taken up reading the Bible myself to find answers; no mean feat, if you have ever tried it. A friend recommended starting with the Gospel of John. So far Jesus has gotten everyone drunk at a wedding; I think I like this book.

No comments: