Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Driving back from Mass in Clinton, I literally came to screeching halt on the side of the Oak Ridge Turnpike in front of a billboard displaying this image. Now, billboards on prominent roadways in East Tennessee displaying overtly Catholic content are probably rarer than reported alien abductions. One carrying a reference to Medjugorje, & we’re in Elvis-sighting territory!

Skeptical, I checked the website. Now, I’m more skeptical. It’s certainly not that I don’t believe God could impart a message to the Faithful through Mary in any time or place. I read a really interesting book some time ago called The Miracle Detective that was primarily centered on the Medjugorje apparitions, & have had a mild case of interest ever since. The bits & pieces of the messages that I've read all seem quite edifying & orthodox, but my interest is more on how the alleged apparitions affect the Church & the people involved.

The website is run by a group called Caritas of Birmingham who, apparently, are hosting one of the 4 visionaries – Marija, I believe – at the site that she received a vision while in the U.S. many years ago. The itinerary of this 4-day festival reads like a Marian Woodstock. The central event is the supposed appearance of Our Lady who will bless you, your family, & our country (the image of Mary with the Stars & Stripes as a backdrop on the site nearly made me laugh out loud – I thought of Lee Greenwood becoming a Catholic convert), & provide some message regarding the end of times. However, nowhere in the events schedule (which ends on a Saturday) was there a single mention of Mass being said, of Confessions being heard, or anything related to the Catholic liturgy or sacraments being celebrated by Catholic clergy. This happening is squarely outside of the approval of the Church.

I plan to check with the Diocese of Birmingham to get their take on this. I know that the local bishop in Medjugorje has publicly disowned the apparitions, even just recently (I’ll try to dig up the article). I remember that there was some disobedience toward the bishop by the friars who operated the parish church which is at the center of the apparitions. That alone is certainly cause enough for the Faithful to stay clear. No authentic apparition will ever refuse to submit to the legitimate Church authorities. The visionaries of the approved apparitions were all obediently docile & content to live in obscurity while their claims were investigated by the Church authorities. In the Q&A section on the site, the question of whether the Medjugorje apparitions are approved (it says no) & whether the faithful may attend them (it says yes) are nos. 46 & 47, respectively. The provided link to “For more detailed information, see Church Approval” did not work. The Catechism says:

66 "The Christian economy… the new & definitive Covenant, will never pass away; & no new public revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called "private" revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ's definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern & welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.Christian faith cannot accept "revelations" that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions & also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such "revelations."

Caritas’ website is creepy because it is always about “the next revelation” & “the next secret.” It seems to be oriented toward building up a group of devotees by hosting these “pilgrimages.” It seems to be a new cult in Catholic dress-up of which Mary is the focal-point, because it is clearly not Christ-centered at all. A Marian festival without Mass? Impossible. Mary leads all to her Son, & she would rather her children to go to Confession & receive her Son prayerfully & worthily in the Eucharist in reparation for the transgressions against Jesus’ Sacred Heart, for the salvation of souls, & for the conversion of our nation & the world.

And that’s a vision that’s Church-approved!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Intrigued so I kept reading this post on Medjorgie. My own personal reflection and I am not sure of this group in Alabama, but Ivan the Visionary has come to Massachusetts on many occasions. I think he lives here 6 months of the year. Now they have lots of priests and the local Bishop when he comes. They have lines of people for confession and then they start the Rosary and after Ivan's Vision we continue right into the Liturgy of the Mass. I hope this does not get too long... but here goes....
My friend told me that Ivan has his vision at say. 5:30pm everyday, depending on time zone you are in. Well I started the Rosary and waited,,, 5:45 no Ivan.... 6:00 no Ivan... I thought Oh great Ivan is probably stuck in traffic somewhere having his vision in a cab or something. lol. So my friend who brought me went out to get something to eat and I just stayed in my pew and really focused on my praying to Mary and Jesus. There was so much noise around me and lots of people just there to see Ivan and not really praying. So I stayed focused on my prayers. All of a sudden I felt this intense peace within me.. I can't explain it but I had no doubt in my mind that the Queen of Heaven was in the room, within a minute or so things in the room settled down and quieted when I looked for a second and there was Ivan on the altar with his hands up praying so still and having his vision. I can not begin to tell you how much this day changed my life. There is more but this would take too long.
God bless you,
Linda

Mark G. said...

Linda, that sounds like quite an experience.

My post was not a critique on the Medjugorje apparitions per se, but on the curious effect it has on the Church. As with all, I submit myself to the wisdom of Holy Mother Church, & she hasn't officially spoken her mind over the matter of Medjugorje yet.

It IS a critique of the Caritas group, however. If I find that the diocese of Birmingham fully supports them, then I will publicly retract what I've said.

Thanks very much for your comments, though.

Linda said...

Hello Mark,
I did understand what you are saying and I just felt compelled to post a reply. I get like this sometimes when I too have the same reaction to certain visionaries especially those end times ones that claim gloom and doom. I have been to several that I felt a negative spirit with and then within a year the Bishops are telling us to stay away and that they should not be meeting. So I usually go by what the spirit is telling me. I know of some people that have followed a certain well known apparitions and told me I was going to hell for not saying my Rosary. Well I can tell you that this is not from God. LOL.
God bless you and I do appreciate your honesty.
Linda

Mark G. said...

St. Paul lists "discernment of spirits" as one of the Holy Spirit's gifts, because there is definitely more than one spirit out there!

It seems that even the over-enthusiastic following of Church-approved apparitions (Mary stalking?) can prove a distraction to genuine Christian discipleship for some.

Putting the Rosary comment in a positive light, I'd say confidently that prayerful meditation on the life, death, & Resurrection of our Lord Jesus in the praying of the Rosary will certainly help bring one closer to Heaven!

Linda said...

Yes Mark,
The Rosary is a great devotional and being a Third Order Carmelite I have to agree that pondering the Word of God and the life, death and Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus will certainly bring about great good for our souls, but I don't think that if I don't have time to say my Rosary and choose to say my Divine Office instead that I will go to Hell as this woman told me. Actually this took place at one of our carmelite community meetings. She totally freaked out on us and left the community because we are not allowed to say devotional prayers at our community meetings. But I do love Our Lady very much and I know she is with me at each moment of the day and all I have to do is say, "Mama Mary I need some help here! and she is right there will me to help".

Mark G. said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry your friend reacted the way she did. Perhaps you && your community of Carmelites can still win her over with prayer & love.

One beautiful aspect of the Catholic faith is that it is REALLY BIG! There are a massive amount of devotions & practices to suit every pious sensibility. We have to be patience with others who live their life of Christian discipleship in a manner different than our own.

I say this only because I am so often guilty of it - forcing my particular vision of "How things ought to be" on others.

Unknown said...

I must say that I saw her a few weeks ago in adoration. She glowed in holiness. She was very at peace and filled with love. She just didn't have a call to Carmel.

I love our Catholic Faith!

Linda