Monday, June 22, 2009

The Heart of God

This weekend was a heart-filled weekend for me – Saturday morning Mass at the cathedral for the Immaculate Heart of Mary & Sunday Mass for the (external solemnity of the) Sacred Heart of Jesus (1962 Missal).

We have seen thousands of images of the Sacred Heart, with Jesus revealing his heart through his garments or even holding his heart in his hand – very bizarre & disturbing to non-Catholics, I assure you – so much so that most of us have probably stopped thinking about it. It seems to have descended largely into the realm of religious kitsch. With that in mind, I offer the following:

I visualize the beating heart inside of the rib cage of the human body of Jesus. Does the heart of Jesus still pump blood? Yes, I think so. Does he still bleed from his wounds? I think so, but it is not a bleeding that weakens & diminishes his life, but as it pours out into the chalices at Holy Mass around the world & throughout time, it increases his life – if such a thing can be said without blaspheming - by his communicating of his life with the lives of the faithful. His heart is the well-spring for the lives of those who belong to his Body through baptism. Then his life increases as more sons & daughters are born into the Church to love & worship the heavenly Father. How much power, then, must flow through those veins, & now in ours - the very lifeblood of God!

Then I think of my own heart, & how weak & limited it is, & how poor it’s capacity to love. A stony thing: cold, hard, dank, & foul. Yet, this is not the first cave that the Lord has entered. In fact, his mother bore him in such a place. She was there when they laid his lifeless corpse in such a place. Likewise she keeps vigil at our hearts, pleading to allow us to let her Son in. And how often we refuse, & turn them away. But if we will answer Mary's plea, if we will let him, there is no tomb of a heart that he cannot transform back into a garden full of life again, a place where God is want to walk with his friends in the cool of the evening, discussing the matters of the day.


As a child I was often accused of having a very active imagination. I think visualizing aspects of the faith is a good thing. So it is quite natural for me to imagine what the chapel of my soul looks like. Surprisingly - on this feast of St. Thomas More – since the very moment I laid eyes on it after climbing the narrow, steep spiral stair, I have imagined it looks very much like the chapel in the Tower of London, perhaps where the saint himself at some time assisted at Holy Mass.

1 comment:

Jill said...

The chapel of your soul is a much warmer place than this although, indeed, I am sure it has the symmetry of the arches and windows rising to heaven. And I can almost hear your voice lifted in chant!