Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Monday

Today, I’ve been asked by several coworkers something to the effect of, “Did you have a nice Easter?” Now, I naturally say Yes, but I also found myself clarifying that the Church regards Easter Day to last a whole week, inclusive of next Sunday. And further, that the season of Easter is 50 days. By their somewhat surprised & skeptical reactions of “Oh, really?”, it seems most of my small-town Tennessee friends & their Baptist churches keep the Walmart liturgical calendar. It’s a sad that this amazing aspect of the Church’s liturgical life has been long discarded by so many. I was about to say Protestants, but I know that many Catholics also get back to business as usual once the festivities end.

Further, I could not really answer their question, “Did you do anything special?” I mean, the whole week leading up to Easter is special! Each liturgy is brain-bafflingly special in its own way, for its own purpose. How to explain Maundy Thursday’s celebration of the institution of the new ministerial priesthood in Christ, Friday’s veneration of the cross, the multitude of Easter Vigil rituals, or any of it without unpacking the whole Catholic Faith centered on Christ Jesus’ abiding presence in the Church in the Eucharist? Not really possible in an exchange only a few seconds long. But perhaps that time will come. Perhaps I will be prepared & able to share with someone ignorant of the Faith exactly what makes these days so special.

No comments: