Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Doing what it says on the tin...

A former English diplomat comments on the new Anglo-Catholic Ordinariates, but ties it to the richness of Catholic Tradition, & throws in a great one-liner:
...
"Now, the sort of traditional Anglicans the Pope is trying to attract are the sort who wouldn’t mind the Latin Mass in the slightest. I like it myself. When travelling abroad – most recently in Budapest and Copenhagen – I have attended Mass on a Sunday. While prepared for a completely unintelligible service [ed.: in the local vernacular], I was on both occasions gratified to sit in on a service which I understood (a lifetime of choral singing has left me well acquainted with the Latin Mass). This was the Catholic Church doing what it says on the tin."

He goes on to talk about the musical legacy of the Church (which American Catholicism has largely chucked), but you can read the whole thing here at the UK paper, The Telegraph.

No comments: