Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Angelus Domini nutiavit Mariae


Hi Folks, I'm back with a real blog post after about 20 years of having completely ignored this space. Barely enough time to think, let alone write.

Yet, something totally unexpected & wonderful happened the other day at lunch at a Mexican restaurant that I wanted to share.

My work colleagues & I were talking about the kinds of things guys talk about while munching on chips & salza, while a Spanish-language music station played on radio in the background. Suddenly, the jabbering on the radio disappeared, & in it's place was a quite ominous-sounding church bell ringing - 12 times.

At first, my friends made a few nervous jokes about it, but then everyone became very quiet & still. Then a lovely female voice sang out Ave Maria... Then after a moment of silence, the Spanish language radio host carried on with his program. My friends looked at each other uneasily, not really sure as to what just happened or why. Then everyone went back to their chatting & chips.

We had just witnessed the call to mid-day prayer, the Angelus, & a beautiful public witness of the Catholic Faith. I'm sure this was nothing extraordinary in the sense that this radio station does this everyday, but I had never heard it & neither had my friends, I'm sure. Mary had caught us by surprise!

I very much appreciated this reminder that the time given to me is a gift to be used for the glory of God & the good of my fellow man, & also a reminder that Christ Jesus, his beautiful & glorious Mother, & all her heavenly children are with us on this journey to God.

The Angelus

V. The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
R. And she conceived by the Holy Ghost.
Hail Mary...
V. Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
R. Be it done unto me according to Thy word.
Hail Mary...
V. And the Word was made Flesh.
R. And dwelt amongst us.
Hail Mary...
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray:
Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts, that we, to whom the Incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an Angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His Resurrection. Through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.


BTW, if you're in the neighborhood of Holy Resurrection Byzantine Catholic Church (the old Holy Ghost on the corner Central & Baxter) this Thursday, Sep 8 at 7:00pm, come to the liturgy celebrating the Nativity of the Blessed Mother.

No comments: